Archiving newsletters in SharePoint
JungleMail for Office 365 can be configured to automatically save your newsletter content in a designated SharePoint library or list.
With the Archive feature enabled and configured, JungleMail for Office 365 automatically creates an item or a document in SharePoint, converting properties such as newsletter subject, author or the "From" address into SharePoint column values.
The newsletter content is also saved with formatting intact and can be opened by clicking on the item.
Supported libraries and lists
The app can archive newsletters in the following locations and formats:
- Site Pages library (modern page format) - web part required
- Publishing Pages library (HTML format)
- SharePoint document library (HTML file format)
- SharePoint list (item format)
Note that archiving in a wiki page library is not available.
If your newsletter contains any dynamic placeholders (i.e., placeholders that pull metadata based on conditions, for example, recipient name or department), those placeholders will not be processed in the archived newsletter content. Static placeholders, that pull the same metadata for all recipients (e.g. news post title) will be processed. Formulas will be processed, too, unless they contain column names or other values that make the result condition-based.
Section content is saved in the archived newsletter regardless of Section Visibility settings. If the newsletter is skipped because sending conditions return no items, it will not be archived. If the conditions return items, the newsletter is archived with unprocessed placeholders.
To configure this feature, you need the following permissions:
- site collection administrator permission in the site collection where you want the feature to be available,
- site collection administrator permissions in the site collection where you want to archive newsletters
1. Adding JungleMail 365 Modern Pack
1. Download JungleMail 365 Modern Pack, then extract the app file.
2. Navigate to your App Catalog site collection and select Apps for SharePoint.
3. Click Upload and browse to the app file to add it to the catalog. Dragging and dropping works, too.
4. Upload the extracted app. In the pop-up window, select the Make this solution available to all sites in the organization box, then select Deploy.
2. Archive list configuration
In the list that you want to use for archiving newsletters, you can add columns with the following internal names:
- NewsletterTitle (Single line of text) - displays a newsletter template name
- NewsletterFromAddress (Single line of text)
- NewsletterFromName (Single line of text)
- NewsletterSubject (Single line of text)
- NewsletterContent (Multiple lines of text with enhanced rich text enabled) - displays newsletter content directly
- NewsletterBannerImage (Hyperlink / Picture) - displays newsletter banner image; in Drag & Drop Builder, select an Image block and enable the option.
- NewsletterDescription (Multiple lines of text) - displays newsletter banner image; in Drag & Drop Builder, select a Text block and enable the option.
- NewsletterDate (Date and Time)
- NewsletterAuthor (Single line of text)
3. Archive configuration in the app
1. In the app, click on the gear icon, then select Archive.
2. In the Archive Settings page, click Enable.
3. Select Authorize new list.
4. Enter the URL of the SharePoint site where you want to archive newsletters, then select Authorize.
5. In the pop-up window, click on the drop-down menu, select the list that you want to use for archiving, then select Trust It to give the app permission to edit or delete items in the list.
6. Configure additional options, then click Save.
- Archive folder name: a folder with the name you specify will be selected or created automatically by the app in the Archive list and used to archive newsletters. If you leave the field empty, newsletters will be archived in the root folder of the list.
- Allow users to enable "Save to Archive" option in app UI
- Enable "Save to Archive" option by default
- Promote archived newsletter via News web part: select this option to automatically promote newsletters that are archived in a Site Pages library.
Saving to Archive manually
If you want to test the feature, to archive older newsletters, or for other reasons, you can save to Archive manually.
1. In the app, go to the History & Monitoring tab.
2. In the list, click on the newsletter you want to archive.
3. In the pop-up window, select Save to Archive.
After saving, you can preview the archived content immediately by clicking Preview item in Archive.
Promoting archived pages automatically
1. Add JungleMail 365 Modern Pack to your tenant or site collection.
2. In Archive settings, select your Site Pages library as the Archive list. Then, select the Promote archived newsletter box.
3. In Drag & Drop Builder, specify blocks that will be used for banner image and newsletter description.
4. On the home page of your communication site, add the News web part.
When you send a newsletter, it is archived in the library as a page:
The News section in the communication site is updated seconds after archiving.
Clicking on the post opens the newsletter in a fully responsive view.